Communications & Digital Media Manager | University of Chicago, Energy Policy Institute
Posted on Aug 1, 2022
The Communications & Digital Media Manager will play a central role in implementing creative strategies to improve the Institute’s overall communications efforts and digital strategy as part of a passionate and nimble team. This work will include designing and implementing a strategy to raise the Institute’s digital profile, including through the management of multiple websites and social platforms; conducting audience analysis and providing stakeholder and media relations support; and leading promotional efforts surrounding the Institute’s programming.
- Manages multiple Institute-run websites and EPIC’s e-mail marketing initiatives. This includes producing regular emails to stakeholders, a monthly e-newsletter and maintaining robust stakeholder and media lists.
- Manages multiple social media accounts, including creating and maintaining a content calendar and developing, purchasing and monitoring the success of social advertising. Develops new ideas to improve the Institute’s social media positioning and engagement.
- Develops strategies and other creative solutions to boost online engagement and grow EPIC’s e-mail marketing lists; monitors and tracks online presence, records analytics, and uses data to inform EPIC’s digital and social strategies.
- Conducts stakeholder and media mapping activities in preparation for new programming or research with the goal of properly targeting the most appropriate audience and expanding stakeholder engagement.
- Manages publicity and other responsibilities surrounding events and general programming.
- Monitors the online presence (websites and social media) of associated schools and centers, as well as the University of Chicago’s news and events pages, for energy-related updates that would be appropriate for cross-promotion.
- Drafts and edits occasional short news stories and other content under tight deadlines. This includes writing profiles of students, researchers and other initiatives.
- Monitors, tracks and reports on media coverage of the institutes’ researchers and issues of topical interest. Manages daily news monitoring e-mail.
- Plans, develops and disseminates information designed to keep the public informed of the organization’s programs, accomplishments, or point of view, with moderate levels of guidance and direction.
- Accomplishes assigned duties through two or more of the following: written communications; visual/graphic media, which may include Web site development and maintenance; speeches and personal contact. The incumbent is still acquiring higher-level knowledge and skills.
- Solves a range of straightforward problems, as work assignments are difficult and broad in nature, usually requiring originality and ingenuity.
- Performs other related work as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or a related field.
- Minimum of three to five years of relevant experience.
- Managing websites, email and social media accounts in a professional capacity.
- Agency experience highly valued.
- Experience in energy/environmental issues strongly desired and encouraged to apply.
Technical Skills or Knowledge:
- Proficiency with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and web-based communication methods and tools such as MailChimp and WordPress (or similar platforms).
- Knowledge of current trends and best practices in digital engagement and their applications to communication strategies, including through web, email and social media.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, and the ability to work both independently with a high degree of initiative and collaboratively as part of a team.
- Work effectively with management, staff, researchers, students, and outside vendors and collaborators.
- Strategic and creative thinking, project management and planning skills.
- Manage and prioritize job tasks, perform effectively in a fast-paced environment, and meet deadlines in a timely manner while maintaining professionalism and product quality.
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving and decision-making skills, creativity, flexibility and attention to detail.
5757 S. University Ave.
Chicago, IL 60637
How to apply
Job is hybrid.