Magazine Internship - Social/Digital Strategist | Natural Awakenings Chicago Magazine
Posted on Jan 23, 2020
Dates: February-July (6 months)
Commitment: Approx. 10-12 hours/week
Position: Digital strategist/social media optimization intern
Location: 85% work-from-home with occasional phone, Zoom or in-person meetings with publisher to discuss progress and logistics. Possibility of assisting with occasional in-person events and expos.
Natural Awakenings Chicago magazine is a part of the national Natural Awakenings franchise network, and is an independent, local, monthly publication. Available in over 1,000 locations in Cook, McHenry, DuPage and Lake counties, NA Chicago focuses on holistic and complimentary health, green living, sustainability, and wellness. With a monthly reach of 75,000 readers and a growing online presence, NA Chicago is looking for an intern to assist with various duties related to social media optimization and digital strategy. Additional opportunities available in graphic design for social media, video, research and writing for print and digital channels for Natural Awakenings if desired by intern.To learn more about Natural Awakenings Chicago, go to www.nachicago.com.
- Creating & pre-scheduling social media posts that promote magazine’s digital content and in-person events (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn)
- Working with publisher to expand digital content and marketing strategy
- Identifying and potentially contacting good digital partners and affiliates, and identifying/creating links/link-backs via social media, blogs, website, etc
- Working with publisher and web manager to identify, add and maintain digital local content to website
- Potentially working with publisher on editorial and marketing ideas to reach new readers
- Assisting supervisor with occasional in-person events/seminars
- Additional opportunities available for marketing and digital marketing if desired
Although the internship is unpaid, it is an excellent opportunity for undergraduate students interested in establishing a career in journalism, marketing, environmental advocacy, or similar field. Candidate will also have the opportunity to propose pieces for print and/or digital publication as a contributing writer. Upon completion of internship, NA Chicago is more than happy to provide letters of recommendation/references, for candidate. Candidate is also encouraged to utilize connections made with publication to further their professional network.
Ideal candidates are undergraduate students with a background in journalism, communications, marketing, environmental studies, or another related field. The majority of work can be completed from-home, with occasional in-person or Zoom meetings with publisher, as well as other team members. Intern may also be asked to assist with the occasional in-person event/expo.
- Current undergraduate student majoring in journalism, marketing, communications, environmental studies, or other related field
- Experience in effectively utilizing social media for marketing/journalistic purposes - understanding of Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Linked In operations, trends and methodologies
- Enjoy using social media and exploring ways to make it more effective
- Comfortable using Word and Excel
- Comfortable using online searches to find information, confirm info sources, etc
- Excellent communication skills. Responsiveness is of paramount importance
- Interest in environmental justice/healthy living
- Strong written skills
- Graphic design and/or Photoshop skills a plus (but not mandatory)
- Must be comfortable working independently
How to apply
Submit resume, cover letter, and one writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org. School papers/assignments are acceptable. Samples of social media work and/or blogs, website content or marketing projects encouraged if available.