Media Relations Associate | SmithBucklin
Posted on Sep 18, 2019
Tech Image, PR News' 2016 Digital PR Firm of the Year and winner of the 2016 Media Relations Campaign of the Year, continues to experience exciting growth out of our Chicago office. We are always looking to connect with top talent in the PR space who will add value to the Tech Image team and our clients. In an effort to continue providing best-in-class service to our client base, we want to connect with both entry-level and seasoned talent in the media relations space!
The Media Relations Associate presents an exciting opportunity for an individual looking to not only expand their career in the technology PR space, but to also join a high-energy, creative team that is passionate about the work we do for our clients. Our dynamic team of professionals deliver innovative ideas and a results-driven approach in an effort to drive results for our clients.
Who We Are…
Tech Image offers competitive compensation and benefits, Class A office space in downtown Chicago, along with an outstanding workplace culture and work/life balance. At Tech Image, we have the agility of a boutique agency and, through our ownership by SmithBucklin, the world's leading association management company, the resources of a large one. In addition, SmithBucklin is 100 percent employee-owned, giving Tech Image team members the opportunity to share in the rewards as the agency (and our parent company) grows.
Tech Image uses the latest digital PR strategies to support a growing client roster comprising various industries – from construction and power tools to software/technology and consumer/fitness.
What You Will Do
- Work collaboratively with clients and the internal team to craft pitches that are both strategic and creative
- Develop media lists (traditional, social, digital influencers) for specific projects and pitch client stories for placement opportunities
- Conduct keyword research and make keyword recommendations to guide word choices for press releases and other content
- Establish and maintain long-term relationships with key media contacts
- Facilitate interviews between journalists and client subject matter experts
- Provide PR counsel to both clients and internal team members as required
- Manage monthly reporting and create presentations for client meetings/end of month reports
- Research and assist in preparations for new business meetings
This Role Might Be for You If…
- You have an interest in new digital media and technologies
- You want to work in a creative environment that encourages you to share your ideas openly and make an immediate impact on the business
- You want a company that supports your continued development by encouraging you to attend relevant events and trainings
- You are forward-thinking with a positive, upbeat attitude and a high degree of energy
- You exhibit a high level of detail on projects and are able to work both autonomously and collaboratively
- You thrive in a fast-paced, deadline-driven, multi-client environment
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four-year institution, with a concentration in English, Journalism, Communications, Marketing or other relevant degree
- 0-5+ years of relevant professional experience in media relations, corporate marketing, public relations or journalism
- Proficiency in Associated Press (AP) writing style
- Proficiency with basic computer programming, including the Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Previous agency experience is highly preferred
- Experience supporting media relations in the following sectors is a plus: Construction/Tools, Software/Technology, Consumer/Fitness and/or Regulatory/Government Affairs
- Knowledge or experience in interactive account management and coordination, media relations, social media and PR campaign strategy and execution
- Experience with traditional, digital and social media platforms
Where Do You Fit?
Whether you are just beginning your career or are a mid- or senior-level professional, working at Tech Image/SmithBucklin will offer you countless opportunities to develop transferrable skills, acquire meaningful knowledge and gain rich experiences at an accelerated pace. By working collaboratively with smart, ambitious, multi-talented, genuine and hardworking colleagues, you will build meaningful, deep and enduring relationships that will serve you well throughout your career, regardless of your chosen path. In addition, as a 100 percent employee-owned company, Tech Image/SmithBucklin offers all of our people – regardless of position or compensation – an equal chance to experience the fulfillment and reap the benefits of ownership. As owners, our employees control the destiny of SmithBucklin and are unified in the goal of building a great, enduring company.
Equal Employment Opportunity
At SmithBucklin, Equal Employment Opportunity is our commitment and goal. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, national origin, gender, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation, veteran status, marital status or any other protected status designated by federal, state or local law. Applicants are encouraged to confidentially self-identify when applying. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a reference and background investigation based on position.
15 Thames Street,, 2nd Floor
Chicago, IL 60611